Plot (Without Spoilers):
The movie starts in present day time where a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents make an amazing discovery in the arctic. At this point the movie then transitions over to Tønsberg, Norway in March of 1942 where a Nazi officer Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) is looking for an artifact of Norse origin. Meanwhile in New York City, a puny Steve Rogers (Chris Evens) is getting rejected WWII duty. He goes and sees a movie where a heckler in the crowd is being disrespectful towards the men fighting in the war. Steve stands up to him and the next scene we see is Steve getting beat up by the Heckler in the ally. Steve is very brave and wont give up.The Heckler is about to continue until Sgt. James "Bucky" Barnes (Sebastian Stan) steps in and helps Steve. Steve and Bucky go on a double date to the Modern Marvels of Tomorrow exhibition where famous inventor Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) is demonstrating his newest invention: The Hover Car. Steve sneaks away while everyone is distracted to another recruitment center.When Bucky find him there they argue about why Steve wants to sign up so bad.Meanwhile unbeknownst to them, Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) is listening in.Steve explains to Bucky that he wants to help his country. Bucky leaves and Steve goes in for his examination. Dr. Erskine walks in during Steve's examination and offers Steve one last chance to serve his country. Steve excepts and is sent to boot camp. There, under Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) and SSR officer Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), one will be chosen as the first in a "super-soldier" experiment. Phillips suggests Gilmore Hodge (Lex Shrapnel), but an act of self-sacrificing bravery by Rogers convinces Erskine to use Rogers. In a secret lab behind a Brooklyn antique store, Erskine and others gather with Senator Brandt (Michael Brandon) and U.S. State Department employee Fred Clemson (Richard Armitage) as Rogers is given micro-injections of serum and doused with what Erskine calls "vita-rays". Rogers emerges from a chamber tall and muscular.
For what happens next you'll have to go see the movie, now in Theaters.
In movie Easter Eggs:
- Those of you that stayed after the credits in "Thor" and other comic book fans will recognize the Cosmic Cube which has a fairly large role in this film.
- In the fight between Puny Steve and the Heckler, Steve grabs a trash can lid and tries to use it as a shield.
- Steve and Bucky go to what looks like the 1942 version of the Stark Expo, very similar to what we see in Iron Man 2.
- There is some definite foreshadow of the fate of Arnim Zola early in the movie.
- In a chase scene later in the movie, Steve uses a Taxi door with a star in the middle as a shield as well.
- Steve dons his classic Captain America outfit. Tights and all.
- A pretty famous Captain America comic book cover makes an appearance.
- The Howlers appear in the movie. The team is Timothy "Dum Dum" Dugan (Neal McDonough), Gabe Jones (Derek Luke), Jim Morita (Kenneth Choi), James Montgomery Falsworth (J. J. Feild), and Jacques Dernier (Bruno Ricci), James "Bucky" Barnes (Sebastian Stan), and of course Steve Rogers aka "Captain America" (Chris Evens)
- After the credits there is a trailer for "The Avengers". If you want to see it check out my last post.